The first post of 2012! How exciting!
Normally I might try to make this a thoughtful or reflective post, since it’s the first of the New Year, but I’m not going to do that today. The last couple of weeks I’ve barely had two days without something going on, and I just don’t have it in me right now. Maybe next week.
I must say I’m pretty excited for 2012! I see so many things to look forward to on the horizon – I won’t list them all, because a lot of them are still in the hopeful stages. But most solidly and notably we have:
-My baby boy’s birthday! How in the world is it almost a year already? So cliché to say, but it’s cliché because it’s just true. It really goes by fast.
(One of his ten-month pictures. He’s so cute.)
-My sister’s wedding! More on that to come.
-It’s an election year! I kind of get excited about politics. I’m actually really looking forward to the caucus’s and county assembly, and I have secret hopes of getting elected to the state assembly, but I’m not holding my breath. We may have a scheduling conflict that won’t allow that anyway. Don’t ask me what candidate I like though, because I can’t for the life of me make up my mind. A lot can happen between now and the primaries as well.
I really don’t make New Year’s resolutions. If I want to change something, I’ll work on changing it any time of the year. And honestly, the main reason is because I know I’m not going to complete all my resolutions (who really does finish everything they resolved to do anyway?), and I get really hard on myself when I fail at those kinds of things. So to save myself some heartache, I just don’t do it.
However, I was kind-of, sort-of forced into it at work this year. We have quarterly meetings, and everyone thought it would be fun if we wrote out some resolutions and checked in with each other at the meetings to see how we’re doing. I like the idea, but as someone who doesn’t make resolutions I’m a little nervous about it too. But I tried to make realistic goals, and here’s what I came up with:
1. Read five classic books. This should be revised to say read or listen to, because I like to listen to audiobooks since I drive a lot. I don’t think this is cheating at all. It can take just as much energy to listen to something well as it takes to read something, and I’m still getting the benefit of literary exposure. I think I may write a post about the classic books on my “To Read” list, so stay tuned.
2. Clean out my car once a month. It’s pathetic how bad my car gets, really, and I don’t clean it myself – I always wait for Derek to clean it, because he does a really nice job (way better than I do). But I think it would be good if I tried to do it myself. I’m not really holding my breath that it will happen every month, but we’ll see.
3. Take Wyatt on a walk once a week. I love going for walks with my baby, but we’ve been stuck indoors for a few months now because it’s just too cold to walk outside. But there are still nice winter days where we can make it work, or I can take him to the mall on cold days. This one isn’t a burden to me at all, and I really want to make it happen. We’ll have to see how the logistics work out.
4. Drink more water. This one is pretty vague – how much is more? “More” is whenever I decide I’m drinking enough water. I just feel like I’m dehydrated many days, and I’ll be able to tell when I’m getting enough.
5. Get our family pictures framed. I still don’t have a picture of the three of us on the wall, and I think it’s a little ridiculous.
Those are the resolutions I came up with (if you want to call them that since I wouldn’t have come up with any at all if left to myself), and I’m not going to be hard on myself if I don’t succeed. A couple more that I considered were “Get better at writing people back right away”, and “Go on a date night with Derek once a month”, because I’d really like to improve in those areas, but since it was a public list I thought I’d stick with the ones I feel more confident about. Plus those two are things I’ve been attempting to work on for months anyway.
Do you make New Year’s resolutions? I’d love to hear some of yours!