This week I’m featuring Jen from Our Love And Our Blessing! I found Jen’s blog last year and she writes about all kinds of stuff - I really enjoy reading about her boy, since he’s a few months older than Wyatt it gives me a glimpse of what the future holds! She has such a cute family, read on to learn more!
Tell us a little about yourself.
Howdy! I'm Jennifer! I'm a Texan that loves Jesus, all things DIY, my husband and, of course, our baby boy Boston. I'm a stay-at-home mom and I'm truly having the time of my life. After 10 years of dating, I married my husband almost 6 years ago. He's not only an amazing husband but he's now an amazing father that impresses me more and more everyday. God has been way too kind to me.
What's your baby's name and how old is he?
We have one son, Boston James, aka my sidekick. We are together 24/7 and I love it that way. :) He's a lively 19 month old!
Give us an idea of what a typical day looks like for you.
Our day starts between 7-7:30 (when B wakes up), Jer gets him, changes his diaper and feeds him his breakfast while I sleep in until 8. Jer gets me up in time for him to head out to work (if he doesn't work from home that day) and I take over. I pinch myself sometimes for having a husband that wants to have that bonding time with just him and Boston in the mornings, hence, why I get to sleep in. :)
Once Boston finishes breakfast, we have a little bit of learning time on the floor. He loves for me to pull out his number, color and alphabet flash cards. So we lay them out on the floor and practice them. Around 9, he goes down for another nap until about 11. This is the time I get to eat my breakfast (standing up at the counter, which is something that happens often now that I'm a mom), tidy up, and do a little blog writing/commenting.
When he wakes up, we either head out to our weekly mom's group at church, run errands, have a play date, head outside to play in our back yard or at our neighborhood park and have lunch all before his next nap at 2pm. He sleeps from 2-4p. This allows me to do some crafts and/or blog stalk. When he wakes up we go for a 45-50 minute walk in time to get home and start dinner for when daddy gets home. Thankfully, we now have a pretty structured day. It hasn't always been like this. I've never made him stick to a schedule, so it's nice to have that now.
When daddy gets home around 6p, we eat dinner and then have playtime (typically on the living room floor) as a family. We head upstairs at 7 for bath and bible study (really....daddy reading the bible to B). By 7:30, we are tucking Boston in and saying his prayers.
If you had to choose three words to describe your baby's personality, what would they be?
3 words to describe Boston are: cavalier, playful and loving.
What's your favorite part about being a mom?
1) Having an indescribable feeling of love for another human being. It's powerful. It's not like the love I have for my husband. It's different. It's total awesomeness! Many times, I can't imagine him grown up and moving out of the house. I could literally get teary eyed. I wish he could live with us forever and always be my sweet and innocent baby. Yes, watching him grow and learn and become more of a "person." instead of a baby, has been fun but I love him being little and dependent on me. :)
2) He's definitely taught us to be less selfish. Being together for so long, kid-less, we could go and do anything whenever. Not anymore. It's all about him and we love it!
3) Getting to share something so special with my husband. Something that is a part of both of us!
Do you have any tips on losing the baby weight, or any beauty tips for new moms?
Nursing helped a lot! Although, I still have about 15lbs to loose. :) A few beauty items that I use often are: bronzer, blush, mascara and carmex. These have been my "go-to" items since becoming a mother. I use these when I don't have time or don't feel like putting on make-up but still want to look presentable. :)
What have you and your husband done since your baby's arrival to keep your relationship strong?
Along with planned date nights about every other month, we often make our weekend evenings special after Boston goes to bed. We either.... watch some recorded shows, rent a movie, build a fire and/or have a dessert. Even though we are not "engaging" in each other, it's still a fun night on the couch with the hub-ster. It's now become a tradition and something that we look forward to.
Are there any must-have products that you would recommend to other moms?
1) A good sling. I used the Baby K'Tan (uber easy to put on) to carry B around everywhere until he was about 1. I carried him at least 3 different ways, from kangaroo style to forward or backwards facing with his legs hanging down to carrying him on my hip. When he was a few weeks/months old, he would nurse in it if he needed to while we ate out at a restaurant, or while I grocery shopped and nobody ever noticed,
2) a good stroller that is light and has lots of diaper bag/shopping bag space, and
3) a swing! Boston would sleep great in it while I got some things done around the house.
What has been your favorite moment or outing as a family so far?
My favorite moments are family time playing on the floor. Being at home with our baby as a family is my kinda good time! Although we recently celebrated Boston's 18 month birthday at the zoo and had a blast!
Any advice for first-time mothers?
It's okay to not be perfect. It's okay to feel crabby due to the loss of sleep. It's okay to let the house become a disaster zone for a couple of days. It's okay to ask for help from family or friends. And it's okay to NOT compare your child to others - every child is different. Lastly, take it all in while they are newborns/infants because it goes by way too quickly. I often mourn to have my newborn back in my arms. I wish I could have those moments back for just one day - even the "middle of the night" wakings (my precious bonding time)! Deeply cherish those early weeks with your baby. :)
Thanks Jen! To read more check out Jen’s blog!