My Trip To The Hospital

Thank you everyone for your prayers and concern about my stay in the hospital! I'm home for now, but we're still not sure what's going on. Here's the story.

Real quickly, my ultrasound on Wednesday went fine - I had plenty of fluid and my baby boy was measuring in at about 5 pounds and 14 ounces! A nice size. So I guess my small uterus measurement is probably just due to the way I'm carrying the little guy.

After a perfectly normal day of work on Friday, I headed over to my doctor's appointment for the last of my two week check-ups. I had a spacey moment and totally used the restroom without leaving my urine sample. Whoops. I figured it wasn't that big of a deal though.

When I got weighed, the nurse said I had gained another three pounds in the last two weeks! My goodness, and that was when I was trying not to over-eat. I guess it means Babykins is growing though, which is a good thing. I knew the weight could come on quicker during the last several weeks, but gracious, seven pounds in four weeks?

Anyway, she took me back and took my blood pressure. It was 120/100 mmHg. A normal blood pressure is usually less than 120/80, and my blood pressures are typically on the low side. So that lower number was pretty high for me.

They thought that maybe I was just anxious or something (but I never get anxious at the doctor's office), so we proceeded with the appointment. My doctor did a swab and checked for progress - I'm about 1 cm dilated and 50-60% effaced, which she said was a good place to be at this point in my pregnancy, because my body is preparing for labor.

She also commented again on how low my baby's head is. I asked her if she thought I'd go late, or be on time, or go early - she said she definitely didn't think I'd go late, so that made me happy.

Then, at the end of my appointment, she took my blood pressure again. It was 130/90. Still somewhat high, and significantly higher than my normal.

She was going to check to see if there was any protein in my urine, but I told her that I didn't leave a sample. So, she decided since we didn't have a sample to check, and my blood pressure was much higher than my normal, she'd send me to the hospital so they could get a urine sample, do some blood work, and monitor my blood pressure for a little bit. She didn't seem too worried, but she wanted to be safe, and she said that if everything was fine I'd be out of there in a couple hours.

So off I drove to the hospital. I will admit to stopping to get a book at King Soopers. Of course the one day I have to be stuck down there for a couple hours I didn't bring a book.

When I got there they checked me in, and a nurse came to get me with a wheel chair. I felt wierd riding around in a wheelchair when I wasn't even in labor, but I guess they didn't want me exerting myself.

I left a urine sample, and my nurse proceeded to draw my blood and hook me up to a blood pressure cuff, a monitor for my contractions, and monitor for the baby.

She took my blood pressure, and it was still high enough to be concerning. The cuff was set to take my blood pressure every fifteen minutes, and it continued to climb upward (and I wasn't anxious at all - I really wasn't, so I'm not sure what was going on).

She asked me a bunch of questions, at which point I also realized that I hadn't urinated much all day - less than normal, for sure. I told her so.

She tested my urine sample for protein and it was high. As in the highest it could be for that particular test.

When you have protein in your urine and high blood pressure, the concern is that you might have preeclampsia. It's a condition in which your body reacts to the placenta and your blood pressure rises. The cure is to deliver the baby.

She still had to run the tests on my blood to confirm it though, so we had to wait for those. In the meantime my blood pressure was still high - my highest reading was 150/107 mmHg. Yikes!

The nurse talked to me a bit and tried to prepare me for the fact that we might be delivering the baby over the weekend. From the way my urine looked and my blood pressure readings, everyone thought we might have to induce at that point.

Derek arrived at the hospital at this point, and he was so worried. I was just glad to have him there, just in case.

Apparently I was having contractions anywhere from 3-6 minutes apart the entire time as well, but I couldn't feel them at all. The doctor told me later that they were just Braxton-Hicks, because if I was really in labor I'd be able to feel them. They told me when I was having one and I felt a little pressure under my belly button, but it honestly didn't feel any differently than when the little man presses his bottom against the inside of my belly. That was the only one I felt, and they calmed down later.

Then my results came back, and my liver proteins were not elevated. They were normal. My uric acid was elevated, which might suggest my kidneys were having a problem, but they decided to do another urine test.

So I left another sample (after drinking a bunch of water), and that result came back with only trace amounts of protein in my urine. But my blood pressure was still high.

Basically, since I had conflicting symptoms, they weren't sure what to do. Finally my doctor came in to talk to me. She explained all my results to me and said that they'd like to gather more information and keep me for 24 hours for observation. They were going to repeat the blood work, monitor my blood pressure readings, and gather my urine for 24 hours, then re-test it.

She said they didn't want to jump the gun and induce me too early if they didn't need to (even though she assured me that 36 week babies do very well, and his size was good), but she didn't feel comfortable sending me home with my blood pressure readings the way they were. So they'd monitor me and send me home Saturday night if everything came back fine, so they could try to get me to 37 or 38 weeks before delivery.

They moved me to another room, put a "hat" in the toilet to catch my urine, and monitored me for another couple hours. During that time my blood pressure dropped down to 119/76 - which is a normal reading. Confusing, confusing . . .

I learned after the fact that my dear blog friend, Brittney, felt led to pray for Derek and me right around the time my blood pressure started to improve. Coincidence? I don't think so. Prayer is powerful! Thank you Brittney, for following the Holy Spirit's leading and saying a prayer for us!

Also, I must say, I loved sitting there with the monitor for the baby wrapped around my stomach, just listening to his little heart beating in the background. It was special.

They came in once at 2:00 AM to take my blood pressure, and it was 105/60. That's more like my blood pressure normally is.

They woke me up at 6:00 AM to re-draw my blood. Then they took my blood pressure and it was 130ish/80ish (sorry, too many numbers - I can't remember them all).

They took it again a few hours later and it was perfectly normal.

Poor Derek had to sleep on an incredibly uncomfortable couch. He woke up and since I was doing fine, he headed up to our house to let the dogs out and get a few things for me. Thankfully I didn't need him to get alot of stuff because my mom had suggested I have my hospital bag ready to go for my doctor's appointment - I'm glad she did, because I had clothes and toiletries, which made the whole experience so much nicer. Derek brought me the laptop, phone charger, a change of clothes, and a few baby items (just in case).

I spent the day reading, playing with my new iPod, reading blogs, and watching TV. The nurse came in periodically to put me on and off the monitors, take my blood pressure, and gather my urine.

My blood work came back perfectly fine, so they were pretty sure that I could probably go home that night.

I had more sporadic contractions when I was hooked up to the monitor, including a "big" one, none of which I could actually feel. It's good to know that my uterus is practicing like it should, but I'm starting to wonder how far into labor I'll get before I can feel them - hopefully quite a ways! A girl can dream, can't she?

Derek and I hung out together all afternoon, except for a couple times when he ran out to get food or a movie. When they had me on the monitors, my little guy's heartbeat filled the room as I watched the snow fall outside the window. I loved that part of it - it was actually nice and cozy and peaceful.

My blood pressure started to sneak up a bit during the day - my highest was 146 for systolic and 91 for diastolic. It hovered around 135ish/84ish during the afternoon.

After 7:00 PM they came in and took my urine off to the lab. Derek and I got ready to go, because everyone was pretty sure we'd be okay to go home that night, but we ended up waiting about 2 1/2 hours for the lab results.

My nurse finally came in and explained what was going on. Apparently the nurses who were monitoring me all day recorded that I put out about 1550 mL of urine. But the lab only reported recieving 900 mL of urine. So 600 mL disappeared somwhere between my room and the lab, and they have no idea where it went.

My doctor was really upset when they told her, because the fact that they didn't test all my urine for the 24 hours makes the entire test inconclusive. According to the 900 mL that they recieved, there was a significant enough amount of protein in my urine to diagnose me with mild preeclampsia. However, since they don't have all my urine for the 24 hours, I may not have preeclampsia - they just don't know.

Apparently my blood pressure readings were moderate enough though that my doctor felt comfortable sending me home, so on Saturday night we were able to leave the hospital. Derek and my mom were pretty worried about me though - Derek said he'd almost rather they keep me there, since they don't know for sure if I have preeclampsia or not.

I have to reapeat the 24 hour urine test at home and bring it in to the lab on Wednesday, and then head over to the office for an extra doctor's appointment. If the results come back and I do have protein in my urine, and my blood pressure is still high, then they could definitively diagnose me with preeclampsia - and I'm not sure what would happen after that.

I'm finishing this on Sunday night, and my blood pressure has been around 130-140/80-88 today - which is still up there. My feet aren't puffy any longer though, so that has to be a good sign.

My doctor told me to monitor my blood pressure twice a day and come in if it's 150/90-100, or if I have any unusual swelling, headaches, blurred vision, pain in my side, etc. She also doesn't want me to work this week, and I'm planning to try not to exert myself too much.

All that to say, I still don't know what's going on, and we may be delivering the little guy sooner than we thought if my results don't come back clear on Wednesday. If I do get re-admitted to the hospital on Wednesday, I'll try to write a quick post to let everyone know.

In the meantime, I'm glad to have a couple extra days to straighten up the house and hopefully finish up a couple things on the list before I go back to the doctor, or before anything else happens.

Don't worry though, I'll still take it easy until I go back in on Wednesday. And I guess we'll just see what happens! Continued prayers are appreciated - I'm more worried that something about this whole thing will hurt my baby boy, and I just want him to be safe.

A regular pregnancy update and belly picture are coming up soon!

You may also like:
Sarah said...

My goodness! What a scare. Glad you are back home now and take care of yourself until he arrives! Blessings,Sarah

LeAnna said...

Bless your heart! This reminds me so much of what happened with my first! We never had overnight stays in the hospital, but I definitely spent all day there a few times because of pre-e. I always packed on the pounds at the end, too...but it's water weight! Keep chugging the water (a lot of times low water will cause those proteins to be more concentrated in your urine) and keep your feet up. We made it to 38.5 weeks before induction, so my guess is that you'll be having that baby sooner rather than later! ;) I've had two inductions now, and neither resulted in a c-sec. I'll be praying!

Anne said...

Oh gosh - what a crazy few days. I've been praying for you over the weekend and will continue to do so. Hope you're enjoying your down time :)

Lauren said...

I'm so glad you were able to come home, but what a crazy hospital trip for you! I'll be praying about your trip on Wednesday!

Jenene said...

Well, I guess I don't need to tell you to rest and drink plenty of water! :) And get into the Word. (I've been challenging myself lately to do more Bible reading. I'm doing SO MUCH pregnancy and labor reading that I've nearly forgotten about my Bible!)

I'll be praying for you and your little guy.

Unknown said...

Man!! How scary! But so glad you are doing well! :) and baby boy is ok too!

Rachel and John said...

Well I'm glad you're at home now. Hopefully things look fine at your next doctor's appointment!

Amber said...

Goodness! I'll be praying! I'm so glad though that all this is happening when you're so close to being full-term. I know he'll be just fine if he has to come a little early. Praying for total healing over here!

Amber said...

I meant to tell you too...I've had braxton hicks contractions pretty regularly (they could see them on the ultrasound) and I don't really feel them either. I've had a couple pretty big ones at night that I've felt, but that's it. So I wouldn't be too worried about not feeling the real ones! I'm pretty certain they are a lot more uncomfortable and painful!

Melanie said...

Wow..what a weekend! Your definately still in my prayers Callie. So good to know your baby boy is a good size and doing well though! :-)

Anna said...

Wow, Callie! Thank you so much for keeping us updated! How scary... I'm glad you were able to be so calm about the whole thing. I'm also really glad that you're so far along while this is happening.

I never had any pre-e issues, but I did have a random bout of nausea and vomiting at 33 weeks that ended up with my being admitted to L&D for dehydration. I was having minor contractions too, and I got to hear the baby's heartbeat the whole time. Although I was so early that it was kind of scary, I do remember the joy of hearing his heartbeat, and feeling like I was getting a preview of being in labor. :)

I'll be checking for updates!

Ria @ Life as a Wife! said...

WOAH!! I am sooo glad you and baby are okay. Thanks for the update! I feel like I learned 100 new things about pregnancy... you are so good at explaining things :-)

Kara @ Just1Step said...

So much going on Callie! After I read your initial "I'm in the hospital post" and you mentioned the high blood pressure, I figured it was preeclampsia scare. Interesting that they never figured out what's going on. I'm so glad you're far enough along though that anytime he's born, he should be just fine. :)

Prayers will continue!

Julie S. said...

Wow, what a crazy story! I had to do 2 urine samples over the span of 2 weeks, and I ended up with preeclempsia. They induced me at 38.5 weeks. I never had to stay overnight in the hospital, though! Praying that things continue to go well! Rest up! :)

Kelley said...

my goodness friend! praying that everything continues to look good, so you can safely keep that little one inside you!

cait said...

Will definitely continue to pray! What an up and down of emotions! Glad you are back at home and can have some time to get relaxed before your sweet baby is here! :)

Unknown said...

Oh Callie, I am so sorry all this is happening! I am glad that everyone is alright and I am praying for you and good results on Wednesday!

Jessica said...

Thanks for keeping us updated. I bet that was scary to go through. I've been praying that everything turns out okay and that it's not preeclampsia. Also praying that the little guy stays put for a few weeks longer! Take it easy :-)

Anonymous said...

So glad everything is ok and you are safe at home with the baby in your belly! That's interesting that your doctor told you that since you weren't feeling the contractions that they were just BH. I didn't feel my contractions for weeks, but they were definitely real! :) But then again every pregnant lady is different and I'm glad you aren't having real contractions yet. :)

© Through Clouded Glass. Design by MangoBlogs.