The ER and Surgery Story

After the whole urgent care fiasco, we headed to the ER. By now the Vicodin they gave me was really starting to kick in, and I was wishing I had never taken it. Vicodin makes me feel out of control, and I hate it. I was all fuzzy, and having a hard time forming a coherent sentence, and the room was wobbling.

It did have the advantage of making it way easier to get out of the car at the ER though, so I guess that's something.

So we waited for a while in the waiting room, then a nurse helped me get undressed and into a hall bed, and we waited again. Lots of waiting in this part of the story.

The ER doctor came up at one point, and I still had my pants on. She could see I was in pain and pronounced right there that we would probably have to cut my pants off. Derek and I told her that we could work them off without cutting them, because we already had to do it once, but it was nice that she was at least taking my pain seriously! Already so much better than the other doctor.

She looked at my knee and explained that the joint wasn't dislocated because the knee cap was still in place, and the only other way it could be dislocated was if I had hit it against something, and that wasn't what happened. She said it was probably a soft tissue injury, and that we would probably have to do an MRI and an x-ray.

We waited some more, and then they took me back for the x-ray. That was very painful. They had to get my knee to a certain level of straightness for it, and we were able to do it, but it hurt like crazy - I was begging Derek to let go for just a second at one point, but he couldn't, because they were taking the x-ray right then. He felt so bad.

We went back to the hall bed and waited some more, and the doctor came back and said that I didn't have a fracture or anything on the x-ray. She said they would probably give me a brace to use over the weekend, and I could come back the next week for an MRI and a visit with an orthopedic doctor. She went off to get my paperwork.

The nurse brought me the brace then, and we discovered a problem. The brace was made to hold your leg straight - and I couldn't straighten my leg. We tried to see if we could bend the brace for me, but we couldn't make it work.

At that point I was just dreading spending a weekend at home with my leg the way it was, and with no way to support it, so I thought I'd try to work my leg flat so that I could at least use the brace. I thought that maybe if I could get it flat it would stop hurting and I would be able to get the brace on.

I was able to work it pretty flat, but the pain didn't go away at all. It was very painful. My ER doc came by and saw how far I had straightened it, and she was pretty impressed, but she said she could tell that it was making me miserable. I asked her if there was any sort of brace that could hold my leg bent, and she said that she was going to call the orthopedic doctor and see what they could do.

We waited some more, and after a while she came back and said she had talked with the orthopedic doctor, and they had decided to bend the rules and get me in for an MRI right away. She said that she thought I was just in way too much pain to send home. I was so glad that they could do it that night, because the nurse said if they didn't do it then, it might take up to two weeks to get me in - and there's no way I could go two weeks!

So I went to get the MRI done, and that was an experience. I had to straighten my leg again for that, and it was torturous, because I had to lay back and hold it straight for twenty minutes. I just focused on the weird sci-fi noises the machine was making, closed my eyes, and tried not to think about it.

After that they wheeled me back to my trusty hall bed, and my doctor came back and told me that my meniscus was torn. Yikes! She said the orthopedic surgeon was going to come talk to me. I thanked her profusely for pulling the strings to get my MRI done that night - she was a great doctor.

So the orthopedic srugeon came and and asked me to hold my arm out straight - I think I may have mentioned this on here before, but my arms are slightly double jointed. Then he asked if I could touch my thumb to my forearm, and I can come pretty close to it. He told me that my joints are extra loose and said that as a result my meniscus had basically flipped upside down and off to the side, and it was torn. He said that trying to straighten my leg out could likely tear it further, and that's why I was in so much pain (so that "guarantee" from the urgent care lady that I wouldn't damage anything was bologna).

He said he could try to pop it back in and it would feel better, but it wouldn't repair the tear, and it would most likely happen again in the future. He said my other option was to have surgery to get it repaired and back in place, and it would be alot stronger.

I certainly didn't want to risk having it happen again in the future when I might be holding Wyatt, so surgery it was. The surgeon said they could get me in the next morning! I was so impressed and thankful for how prompt my care was.

So they admitted me to a room, and Derek ran home to let the dogs out and get a few things for me. It was a rough night, but the bed was so comfortable. Way more comfortable than the beds in Labor and Delivery.

The next morning they came and got me for surgery. The anesthesiologist came in and asked if I was pregnant, and I said I was pretty sure not, but he ran a blood test anyway to make sure before he gave me general anesthesia.

We had to wait a little while for the blood work to come back, and he and my surgeon had the discussion of what to do if my result were to come back positive. I knew it wasn't going to be positive, but I liked it that they wanted to make sure.

Finally the results came back and my surgeon called out, "I'm sorry to tell you, Callie, that you are not pregnant!" Which I thought was funny, because he was clearly not sorry to tell me that, considering the circumstances.

They put an oxygen mask on my face, and that's the last thing I remember.

I've never been put under before, except for when I had my wisdom teeth out, but I wasn't all the way under then. I kind of expected that they would make me count back from one hundred like they always do in the movies.

And maybe they did, I don't know. The next thing I knew, I woke up feeling very sleepy in the recovery room, with a humongous, heavy brace on my leg.

They took me back to my room, and I realized that the jeans I came in were not going to fit over the wrapping they had on my leg, so I asked Derek to run by Target and get me some loose pants that would fit over it. He brought me back these cute, stretchy workout pants and a pretty shirt - nice choices, Babe!

After passing the crutches "test" with the physical therapist, the nurse showed me how to give myself shots of blood thinner medication (I'm at high risk for blood clots right now), and they sent me home. I'm supposed to go back to see the orthopedic doctor later this week.

My parents took care of Wyatt while I was in the hospital - it was so hard to be away from him. I missed him like crazy. When I got home, I just sat down in a chair and held him for a little while.

I think he missed me too. He snuggled right in and fell asleep.

It's still hard to move my leg without it hurting, but it can be straight or bent now. I'm not allowed to put weight on my leg or bend it beyond 90 degrees for six weeks. Thankfully I should be healed before I go back to work, which is good, because I can't afford to take more time off from work.

But it also means that I can't take care of Wyatt by myself for the rest of my maternity leave, because there is no way that I can carry him while using crutches. I'm not even very stable just standing in place right now. So that's slightly depressing.

I hate it that I can't take care of him myself. We're going to have to figure out how to piece together the schedule for the next six weeks so I have someone to help me every day. Derek's mom is here helping me today, which I greatly appreciate!

On top of that, I can't even feed Wyatt for another week, because of the blood thinner and pain medications. Thankfully I had at least a month's worth of milk stored up in my freezer. But I miss being able to feed him.

Derek has been amazing. He's been helping me get around the house, getting things for me since I can't get them myself right now, taking care of Wyatt, making meals, preparing meals in advance for the rest of the week while he's at work . . . he's my superhero.

Even though I am feeling a little useless as a mother since I can't take care of Wyatt by myself, I know that I'm not useless. He still snuggles right in and falls asleep when I hold him. I may not be able to do some things for him right now, but he still needs me.

I could just use prayers over the next six weeks. It's going to be a little rough on me and my family.

At the same time, I'm grateful this happened now. We have good insurance, and I didn't have to wait for my surgery. We've already reached our maximum out-of-pocket for the year with our insurance, so it won't cost anything more than what we would have paid. I'd rather it happen now than when I was pregnant with Wyatt. I don't have to take any extra time off from work. I wasn't holding Wyatt when it happened.

The Lord really was watching out for us through this whole thing. It's amazing how He takes care of us, even when we go through difficult times. That's a huge blessing, and something to be thankful for!

This is how I'll be spending the next several weeks . . .

You may also like:
Kayla Rae said...

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this, but I'm glad they were so much nicer to you than the first place! You and your family are in my prayers! You'll be back on your feet (literally) in no time. :P

Brittney Galloway said...

Oh, Callie! I'm so glad you are on the mend but I'm so sorry that it happened in the first place. I will be praying for your speedy recovery and patience during the time until then.

Page said...

Wow...I agree, praise the Lord this didn't happen when you were pregnant! But what a bummer...I'm amazed at your positive attitude in getting through it. Definitely helps us all realize we can do a lot more than we think with a newborn!!! And thanks for the unintentional tip about freezing milk...I hadn't thought of that yet. Praying you heal quickly, get the help you need, and have a strong knee for a long time after! What a story!

Lauren said...

OH girl, I feel so bad for you...but what a positive outlook you have on a less than desirable situation! Here's hoping you heal very fast!

Rachel and John said...

Oh Callie! I'm so glad everything worked out and I hope you heal faster than they thought and you can solo parent again!

Leeper's said...

I am so glad the ER people were nice and that is awesome that they got you in so fast. I will be praying for a quick recovery!! Be safe.

Ria @ Life as a Wife! said...

Sad day!! I missed the first part... I am going to have to check it. You get rest sweet friend. You have such a great perspective, you are STILL a Mom and Wyatt loves you :) You can tell in all the photos. Hope it heals SUPER Fast! BLessings!!

Lauren said...

Oh my goodness! I'm glad to hear that they got you into surgery quickly and didn't have to wait a few days. Wishing your a speedy recovery and lots of cuddle time with Wyatt!

Kara @ Just1Step said...

You poor girl. I'm so so sorry about this. Of course as a fairly new momma, all I could think was oh my how is she going to take care of Wyatt and what about nursing and diapers and...

but it sounds like you will get it all taken care of. :)

Melanie said...

My goodness what a story!! Your right happened at a good time when your insurance deductibles were met and you were going to be at home anyways! Prayers going up for you girl..take an easy and get better soon!!

Ashley said...

I'm so sorry Callie! I'm praying for you!! Hope you are healing up well!

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Oh my goodness!! I hope you have a speedy recovery!!

Kristin said...

I'm so sorry all of this happened, what a bummer!! And I cannot believe how rude some people can be. At least you are out of surgery and getting to hold your sweet boy again :) Prayers for a speedy recovery!

Julie S. said...

Oh dear! I am so sorry you are dealing with this, but you are right- if you were holding Wyatt or not anywhere close to home, things could have been a LOT worse. Get better soon!

Anne said...

Oh wow! I haven't checked blogs all weekend and I missed out on all the craziness happening with you guys! I'm so glad that you were able to have surgery and are on your way to recovery. I'll definitely be praying for you and your family in the upcoming weeks. Glad that you are ok!

cait said...

Oh Callie...I will definitely be praying for you! I'm so glad you received the care you needed and deserved! mentioning storing the milk reminds me even more of the importance of never know what might come up!

Jenene said...

Callie, I'm so sorry about all of this! What an ordeal! I'll be praying for you and Derek and Wyatt.
(Btw, you've motivated me to pump more. What if something happened, and I couldn't breastfeed my Sophia? I don't even think I have a day's worth of milk!)

Mandie said...

I'm so inspired by your positive outlook. I'm also so sorry that you've had to go through all of this. I can't imaging how hard it must have been to be away from Wyatt. I'm so sorry you can't nurse him for a bit, but like you said I'm glad you've been able to save up some breastmilk. My heart goes out to you right now.
You are certainly not useless as a mom :). Wyatt's still so little, cuddling him is what he needs most. When my baby was a newborn I did a lot of reading on how being close to their mother's body regulates young baby's systems and rhythms so by sitting and holding him you are doing the most important thing for your baby.

Jessica and Stephan said...

So glad that you got in quick to get the surgery done! You'll be ok, sounds like you have a lot family support to get you through this tough time.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am so glad this didn't happen when you were holing Wyatt and that everything is going to be ok! You have such a wonderful outlook and I'll be praying for a fast easy recovery for you!

Lori said...

WOW girl i am so sorry that you had to go through this!! you are handling it very well especially with a new baby!! Thinking of you!!

Amber said...

Glad to hear surgery went well! I'll be praying for a speedy recovery!!

Jessica said...

I know I'm late in commenting (I read posts on my iPhone reader, then save the ones I want to comment on, but it takes me FOREVER to find a time to go back and comment! haha) but I'm praying for you! I know it has to be hard taking care of an infant on crutches. So glad you were able to get the surgery so quickly!

© Through Clouded Glass. Design by MangoBlogs.